Popular Posts

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Mom?



Mom...she's supposed to be the one I love most in the world. And I DO...I really do...but sometimes its so easy...too easy to forget. 
I was reading a book today. This new one that I've been waiting for FOREVER to read. I was in the best part when all of a sudden my Mom comes and yells at me because my door is closed. She tells me to get out of my room and do some work. It seems she always finds the worst time to come in and give me some type of chore. And seriously...sometimes I think she actually looks for something that she can have me do...just to give me work. And no matter how well I do it..something always seems to be wrong. 
I was actually talking about this with a friend the other day..how no matter what we do...it's never good enough for our Moms. Crocheting? Took too long. Sewing? Left a thread hanging. Cooking? Too much salt (or not enough). Painting, writing, or drawing? A waste of time -_-
And dressing up...I dunno about you people...but I love dressing up (total girly girl here ;)). But my mom? Man! Of course she never says I look good... rather she tells me all the things  that look bad. And then someone else sees me, and they compliment...I'm left thinking "umm...Mom?"

But then sometimes when I  think of all the things that she has done for me...I'm left...ashamed. I was annoyed because she disturbed me in the middle of a conversation??? Or a book? A book??? How many times was she not able to do something because of me?
And every time she has criticized me...they were honest. She knows I can do better. And every one of those critics I remember..and make sure not to do next time. She was teaching me all those times. And I was angry?

Abdullah Ibn 'Umar saw a Yemeni man performing Tawâf (circumambulating the Ka'bah) while carrying his mother on his back. This man said to Abdullah Ibn 'Umar, "I am like a tame camel for her! I have carried her more than she carried me.
Do you think I have paid her backO Ibn 'Umar?" He replied,
"No, not even one contraction!!"
Bukhari

My mom always says, if I don't learn all the stuff she makes me do now, what will I do when I get my own house? It always makes me embarrassed (sharmana ;)) as to what it implies (does she have to mention that?)...but Man! it is so totally relevant. I know people who were a mess when it came to running their own household because their mom coddled them so much. My sister...she always tells me, "You might really not like Mom now...but someday watch....you wont be able to thank her enough for all that she taught you". 
O big sister dear what wise words :D
I have no doubt she's right.

Moms...they are the people who knew us before anyone else knew we even existed. Who stayed up countless night...cooked a million meals...kissed thousands of booboos. They are willing to do anything for us....what are we willing to do for them? There was a time when our lives revolved around our mother....now do we give them even a few minutes from our day? Now when it's out turn to care for them...do we take up that task?
Mom...she's the one who gave her life up for me, her time, her efforts in bringing me up...but often I forget...its so easy..too easy to forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment